1. FSV Mainz 05 e.V.
IT Connectivity in Pro Sports
Leading professional sports clubs not only is a challenge in sports itself but also needs economic success. Trouble-free processes, for instance in ticketing, and innovative digital platforms for integrating fans and sponsors ensure important sources of revenue for the club. For that, the club depends on a resilient Internet connection. German Soccer Bundesliga club 1. FSV Mainz 05 e.V. has been writing success stories in professional soccer. As modern pro sports club with creative ideas, 1. FSV Mainz 05 e.V. is using innovative solutions in order to keep up with competitors. By relying on Viprinet bonding technology, the club now has at hand a 100% resilient and encrypted Internet connection for stationary and mobile use cases.
Benefits of Viprinet's solution
- Stable Internet connectivity at all sites
- Trouble-free mobile online transactions
- Stable video streaming in HD quality
1. FSV Mainz 05 e.V. had to face several challenges in IT infrastructure for which they sought a solution: The club’s soccer school in Bad Kreuznach, about 50km away, needed an encrypted connection to the office. The terminal in the 1. FSV Mainz 05 e.V. fan vehicle was supposed to reliably enable online transactions, even on match days when radio cells typically are overbooked. The team bus should provide stable Internet connection in Germany and abroad. In addition, the solution had to be future-proof in that it would make live streams of the online tv station “05er.TV” possible in HD quality. Especially mobile applications are very demanding since, on the one hand, moving recipients need to frequently switch between radio cells without losing connectivity. On the other hand, radio cells near stadiums are frequently overbooked on match days, requiring a bonding solution to integrate different mobile providers.
In order to meet all demands, Viprinet relies on its patented and long-standing WAN bonding solution that aggregates bandwidths of different WAN connections like DSL and 3G/4G. The club’s own data center in the club’s new stadium with fiber connections was equipped with two redundant Viprinet Multichannel VPN Hubs 1020. Since beginning of 2017, changeover to two Viprinet Virtual VPN Hubs provides even more flexibility. In the soccer school, a Multichannel VPN Router 200 was installed while two mobile Multichannel VPN Routers 510 fitted with SIM cards of different German mobile providers are used in the fan vehicle. In addition, an innovative suitcase system was developed containing a Multichannel VPN Router 300 and providing the team with a portable WiFi hotspot. In order to maintain high-quality support and cost security at all times, the pro sports club relies on a VLM Silver license for their hardware, and on newest Viprinet firmware generation “RuggedVPN”. The solution was implemented in cooperation with Viprinet partner tividoo GmbH.
Using a Viprinet bonding solution, 1. FSV Mainz 05 e.V. ensures that no payment transactions are interrupted, and no connection between the team bus or the soccer school and the office are tampered with. Stable connectivity allows the professional soccer players to use WiFi in their team bus. Based on Viprinet technology, the club’s own online TV station “05er.TV” will in the future be broadcast via live stream in HD quality. By utilizing a patented Viprinet solution, 1. FSV Mainz 05 e.V. ensures stable data streams and uninterrupted transmission of all contents. Highly flexible Viprinet products allow the pro sports club to adapt fast and easily to changing conditions, and keep their network infrastructure scalable. Professional IT for professional sports clubs!
Karsten Lippert, Head of ICT
The Viprinet Routers we use with their RuggedVPN solution enable our team and departments to setup stable connections from any location, no matter if mobile or stationary.
1. FSV Mainz 05 e.V.
- Business sector: Sport
- Headquaters: Mainz am Rhein, Deutschland
- Established: 1905
- Company sites: Mehrere
- Number of employees: 97
Mobile, stationary, and portable Internet connectivity
- 2 Multichannel VPN Hub 1020
- 2 Viprinet Virtual Hub
- 1 Multichannel VPN Router 300
- 1 Multichannel VPN Router 510
- 1 Multichannel VPN Router 200
Project launch: 2014
Sites connected: 4